These meatballs seasoned with za’atar aren’t cooked into tomato sauce and served over spaghetti — rather, these are quickly browned and then roasted, and served over rice, couscous, or other grains. For dipping sauce, I recommend yogurt or sour cream, blended with Herbes de Provence, Greek Seasoning, or other spices.
Meatballs (Middle Eastern)
- 1 pound ground meat (see Notes below)
- 2 tbsp Za’atar for mixing in Step 1
- 1 tbsp Za’atar for sprinkling in Step 4
- 1/2 tsp salt (Fine Sea Salt recommended)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Using a mixer, or mixing by hand, blend the ground meat, 2 tbsp za’atar, and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F while you form the meatballs (about the size of a ping pong or golf ball).
- Put the oil in a large frying pan, bring to high heat, and toss in the meatballs. Cook over high heat until browned, flipping regularly, 6-8 minutes.
- Put meatballs into roasting pan and cover generously with sprinkling of remaining za’atar. Roast, uncovered, for 8 minutes, and let cool 3 minutes before serving.