Exotic fragrance and warm rich flavors from my own Mulling Spices for awesome mulled cider or wine for the cold seasons.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1/2 gallon apple cider (OR 2 750ml bottles of red wine)
- 1 packet Mulling Spices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 orange
- Peel the orange, trying to get as little of the white stuff (pith) as possible. Cut the peel into squares, slices, or slivers.
- Place the orange slices in a pan and just cover with cold water. Set on high heat and bring to a boil, then drain off the water. Cover again with cold water, and repeat this another one or two times.
- In a good-sized saucepan, place the cider or wine, the mulling spices, the sugar and the orange peel.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low (should still be steadily bubbling, but not boiling) and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Strain carefully and serve in teacups or mugs. Many folks decorate the cup with a whole cinnamon stick.